Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Dogs beg for anything their owners see to eat or drink – even if that human treat is poisonous to dogs. Sometimes this applies to your morning cup of coffee. A daily dose of caffeine may be essential to your well-being, but that doesn’t apply to your furry companion. When your dog ingests coffee – whether in the form of beans, liquids, or coffee grounds – it is important to act quickly.
According to the American Kennel Club, the same stimulant that makes coffee so attractive to humans can be catastrophic to pets. Dogs are particularly sensitive to caffeine, and in addition to a boost of energy, consuming coffee can raise their heart rate to dangerous levels. This is especially true for smaller dogs. Some symptoms of caffeine poisoning in dogs include panting, vomiting, restlessness, elevated body temperature, and abnormal heartbeat.
Like some substances that are toxic to dogs, a tiny amount of coffee won’t kill them. So if you catch Fido stealing a few rounds from your cup, it is best to monitor her for signs of illness rather than taking her to the vet right away. The situation becomes more serious if your dog gets caught in coffee grounds or coffee beans, which have a higher concentration of caffeine than brewed coffee.
In severe cases, drinking coffee can lead to a dog coma, seizures, or even death. If you catch your dog in the trash with his morning coffee grounds, contact your veterinarian or call the poison helpline immediately before his condition worsens. If a doctor determines that your pet is in danger, they can treat them by making them vomit or giving them fluids or charcoal to soak up the toxins.
Every dog owner wants to protect their pet, but harmful toxins often hide where you least expect them. Here are some common dangers to watch out for the next time you take your dog for a walk.