There are a number of plants commonly found in gardens across the country that can make your dog sick.
Some can be very toxic to your pet while others can cause a slight stomach upset.
Owners are advised to see a veterinarian if they suspect their dog has eaten a poisonous plantPhoto credit: Getty
Which plants should I watch out for my dog to be around?
While there are a number of plants that can be poisonous to dogs, the most common, according to the Kennel Club, are listed below.
If you are unsure whether a plant is a health problem for your pup, it is best to check with a plant expert.
- Amaryllis bulbs
- Daffodil bulbs
- Mercury of the Dog (Mercury Perennial)
- lily of the valley
- Rhubarb leaves
- Sweet pea
- Tulip bulbs
- Umbrella plant
If your dog eats or chews any of these plants, see a veterinarian right away.
How do you know if a plant is poisonous to dogs?
Most people are unlikely to know whether or not a plant is toxic to their dog unless they are an expert.
However, be careful if your dog is constantly eating plants.
Also, watch out for signs of illness.
Symptoms of poisoning may include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors or seizures, and loss of consciousness.
There could be a number of reasons why your pet pooch may eat plantsPhoto credit: Getty
Why does my dog eat garden plants?
Your dog may eat plants for a number of reasons, much like he likes to eat grass.
Reasons Your Dog Eats Plants Are:
- They enjoy the taste
- Nutritional deficiency / pica
- Flatulence / abdominal discomfort
- Curiosity / boredom