According to a 6:45 facebook post by the Sedalia Fire Department, just before 5 pm Thursday evening, Sedalia Fire crews responded to a report of a dog through the ice at Clover Dell Park, located west of Sedalia on 32nd Street.
Fire crews responded, suited up, and went into the lake.
The animal was found approximately 150 feet from the shore. Unfortunately the animal perished in the event.
One firefighter suffered an ingestion of water and was transported to Bothwell Regional Health Center by PCAD as a precaution.
Fire crews were in the water for approximately 15 minutes.
“Friends, please please please use caution while around any body of water. Although there is ice covering the water it is not very thick and will not support much weight. We would like to also thank the Sedalia Police department, Pettis County Sheriffs department, Pettis County Ambulance, Pettis County Fire, Sedalia Animal control and Pettis county Joint communications for all their help with this situation, Team work makes the dream work!” the post concluded.