Paracetamol is toxic to cats and canine

It is difficult for owners to get their pets to the clinic during this pandemic. This is especially true for pet owners without vehicles, as public transport is scarce and most drivers don’t allow pets in their vehicles. Because of this limitation, some owners have resorted to “self-medication” from their cat or dog. However, prescribing medication for your pet can create additional problems. It is always best to consult a veterinarian. You can go to the clinic or consult your veterinarian on the phone, on messenger, or via Viber instead of prescribing medication for your pet. Please do not give medications that you believe will cure your pet without consulting a veterinarian. Most human medications are harmful to cats and dogs and should be kept away from your pet. Paracetamol is one such medicine that you should never give your pet.

Paracetemol is dangerous to dogs and can be fatal to puppies because their body weight is much less than that of humans. Do not give acetaminophen, ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen, aspirin and medicines containing acetaminophen.

Cats and paracetamol

Paracetamol is not good for cats in pain. The drug can worsen their condition. “We were all there, your cat has a scratch and you’re like, ‘ouch, where are the pain killers?’ However, never try to give your cat paracetamol as it does much more harm than good, ”said Vetsnow at If your cat has eaten acetaminophen, call your vet or take your cat to the clinic right away because “no dose is too low,” Vetsnow said. “There is an antidote called acetylcysteine ​​that can save your cat’s life if given early enough. Taking quick action is of the utmost importance to your cat’s health, ”said Vetsnow. Paracetamol is harmful to cats because they cannot safely break down paracetamol. This leads to the rapid formation of dangerous toxic compounds in the body, Vetsnow said. This, in turn, leads to irreversible damage to red blood vessels and a syndrome called “methaemaglobinemia,” in which the tongue and gums turn chocolate brown. This and liver damage lead to death. To avoid acetaminophen poisoning in cats, Vetsnow recommends that cat owners do the following: 1. Ensure that all human medicines are out of the reach of cats. Some human medicines also contain paracetamol. “As with children, make sure all medication is kept in closets out of the reach of wandering paws,” Vetsnow said. “Medicines that contain paracetamol include some cold and flu medicines, as well as liquid medicines like Calpol. Paracetamol even has a different name in America, where it’s called acetaminophen, ”added Vetsnow. 2. Do not self-medicate. Take your cat to the vet.

“Cats are (obviously) very different from humans

and it is just not safe to give acetaminophen or other human medicines to your cat. There are many safe cat pain relievers designed specifically for cats that are available from your veterinarian, ”Vetsnow said. “If you are concerned about cat pain or any aspect of your cat’s health, please contact your veterinarian first,” added Vetsnow.

Dogs and paracetamol

According to Vetsnow, acetaminophen is also bad for dogs. It can cause liver or kidney failure and even death in dogs, Vetsnow said. Vetsnow has listed the potentially dangerous pain relievers for dogs below: Paracetamol Ibuprofen Diclofenac Naproxen Aspirin “If your pet is uncomfortable or has a painful injury, you may be tempted to give them human pain relievers such as acetaminophen, aspirin, codeine and ibuprofen. Please don’t do this – human pain relievers can be toxic to pets. Some over-the-counter drugs can cause stomach ulcers, kidney or liver failure, and even death in small animals, ”Vetsnow said.

Calpol can be dangerous to dogs

It is best not to give your dog a calpol. Vetsnow said, “Infant suspensions like Calpol contain paracetamol. While acetaminophen is occasionally used in dogs, it was formulated for humans so it can be dangerous. This is especially the case when taken in large doses. There are other drugs that are used by veterinarians that have effects similar to paracetamol and that don’t damage the liver as much. “Ask your vet about another paracetamol-free pain reliever for your dog. “Like humans, dogs naturally produce substances that protect their internal organs. One of these substances is called prostaglandins. These prostaglandins help blood flow to a dog’s kidneys, prevent clotting, and protect the inner lining of the stomach. One of the effects of human pain relievers on dogs is that they can interfere with prostaglandin production. When this happens, dogs can develop bowel problems, loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea, bleeding disorders and even kidney or liver failure, ”Vetsnow said. If your dog has eaten a human pain reliever, take him to the veterinarian immediately. Try to provide the vet with the following information: drug name, strength and amount consumed.

Park for dogs

Owners can now bring their pets to the SM Dasma mall and connect with their furbabies in a location other than home. (Photo by Dennis Abrina) Owners now have another way to bond with their dog or cat. SM Dasma launched the Pet Paw Park last Sunday March 14th so owners can bring their cats or dogs to the mall. Paw Park is on the third floor of the mall. Owners must put a leash and diaper on their pets. It is also strongly recommended that dogs not be brought into the park in heat.

COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader’s comments published on this website are not endorsed in any way by Manila Standard. Comments are the views of readers who exercise their right to freedom of expression and do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or point of view of Manila Standard reserves the right to delete comments that are deemed objectionable, indecent, or inconsistent with Manila Standard’s editorial standards. However, Manila Standard may not be responsible for any incorrect information posted by readers in this comment section.

Ad Blocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.