Households displaced, cat dies after Pembroke Pines townhouse catches fireplace twice – WSVN 7News | Miami Information, Climate, Sports activities

PEMBROKE PINES, FLA. (WSVN) – A fatal fire that destroyed a family’s home in Pembroke Pines has broken out for the second time.

The fire broke out in Westfield townhomes along the 8000 block of Palm Tree Lane at around 3 a.m. Tuesday.

Rescue workers said they saw heavy smoke and flames coming out of one of the townhouses.

Pembroke Pines Fire Rescue evacuated six connected townhouses due to smoke damage.

“There was a lot of smoke and the flames just went on and on and then spread,” said neighbor Candace Thomas. “What I noticed is that people didn’t come out until police officers knocked on doors. There was this house, they didn’t smell anything, they didn’t hear anything until the cops came, but that whole back row was smoky. “

The residents stood outside and watched smoke and flames blaze through the townhouse windows.

“We were woken up,” said Thomas. “It was about 3, 3:15 and we kept hearing crackling noises.”

Two children were taken to a nearby hospital for smoke inhalation. They will continue to be treated from Tuesday afternoon.

A family cat died from the heavy smoke. A second cat was taken to a nearby veterinary clinic.

“See that orange poster on one of the windows over there? That’s mine, it was mine, ”said Dominic Treta. “I am very sure [lost everything]. A guy knocked on my door yesterday at around 2:30 am and scared the Bejesus, and I just put on these shorts and ran outside. “

Firefighters were able to put out the fire but had to return to the scene shortly before 9 a.m. when the flames re-ignited.

7SkyForce hovered over the scene where fire fighters could pour water over the townhouse. Much of the roof has collapsed since then.

Initially, the fire was contained in a town house. After the fire reignited, the fire spread to another four townhouses.

Residents said they had previously complained about the electrical problems in their homes and wondered why the fire department left the scene so the fire could be rekindled.

One resident, Christina, said she could only pray for those affected.

“It was put out, but then the fire trucks went,” she said. “Then it ignited again and now it’s spreading to the other houses and I didn’t do anything but pray to God, but it spread because of the wind and I don’t understand why the fire department left. “

Around noon firefighters could still be seen fighting the flames.

“If they know the conditions are windy and there is a chance of revival because all of these apartments share the canals in the attics, they shouldn’t have left,” Christina said. “I’m heartbroken for my neighbors.”

When asked what he would do after the fire, Treta said, “Start over at the tender young age of 84. You have to do what you have to do. I’m glad my health is still in pretty good shape. You have to do it. “

Fire investigators said the fire was electrical and started on the porch of one of the townhouses. It is still being investigated.

The American Red Cross is helping the six displaced families. If you’d like to donate to help families recover from the fire, click here to be directed to their GoFundMe page.

Copyright 2021 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Ad Blocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.