Dog poo on pitch left rugby player with life-changing infection

WARNING: Some readers may find the images contained in this story of his injuries distressing

A rugby player has urged dog owners to pick up after their pets after an injury infected with poo left him with a life-changing condition.

Darryl Adams, 50, was hospitalized after his shin was stamped on with rugby boot studs covered in dog poo.

The studs cut the skin and the dog poo caused a cellulitis infection which has never properly healed.

READ MORE: Gwynedd grandmother ‘overjoyed’ as sister gives birth to daughter’s baby

The Welsh HGV driver is taking part in a national dog fouling campaign after he has spent almost two decades suffering with a leg that has “never been right” since it was infected back in 2005.

Mr Adams said: “I ended up having a week in hospital and the doctor who treated me said that once you get cellulitis, all it takes is something small to trigger it off again.

Darryl Adam’s infected leg in 2013

“The infection flared up twice between 2005 and 2013, with the latest one being the worst.

“All it took was heavy flute to trigger it and I was hospitalized for two weeks because the infection had tracked into my veins.

“Ever since then my leg has never been right, it is constantly swollen and looks awful – all from some selfish person who couldn’t be bothered to pick up after their dog.”

Dog poo remains a persistent issue in communities across the country and a new dog fouling campaign, aims to raise awareness of the associated health risks.

As well as carrying harmful bacteria which can lead to infection, asthma and even blindness, bacteria can live in soil long after the poo has decomposed.

Keep Wales Tidy Chief Executive Lesley Jones said: “We urge the minority of irresponsible dog owners to do the right thing and pick up after their pets. By not picking up after your dog, you could be putting people at risk.

Commercial only pics by Keep Wales Tidy PR

Darryl Adams is now prone to infections

“Darryl’s story highlights just how harmful dog poo can be for people.

“Dog poo isn’t just an unpleasant mess, it can be dangerous.

“Please bag it, bin it and leave only pawprints when you’re out and about.”

Leave your thoughts on this story in the comments below.

read more
read more

Ad Blocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.