Passengers flying with Etihad Airways can now pay to bring their cat or dog into the cabin, according to the airline’s website.
Although there are restrictions on the size and weight of animals allowed on board, the new service has been welcome news for pet owners across the country.
Pets travel at an additional cost equal to the person’s baggage allowance and owners must present veterinary and official pet documents upon check-in.
In economy class, it costs US $ 150 (Dh550) per pet per flight to travel six hours or less and US $ 250 (Dh920) for flights longer than six hours. In transit, the combined price per flight applies.
“This is a new policy that came into effect earlier this year. Etihad has welcomed trained service animals and pet cats and dogs on board since September 30, 2021, ”the airline said in a statement to The National.
“Guests can bring their small pet cats and dogs in the cabin on all flights to, from and via the UAE, provided that all travel conditions are met.
“One adult can bring one pet per flight. If two guests travel together, this can be increased to two pets, provided the pets come from the same household.”
Bookings must be made at least 72 hours prior to travel using an online booking form, including details such as the pet’s microchip number, a certified health certificate and a certificate of fitness to travel.
The total weight of the pet and travel bag or kennel must not exceed 8 kg and it is the responsibility of the passenger to check all entry and exit regulations for the country to and from which they are being flown.
In cases where both a person with allergy and a person with a pet request to travel on the same flight, the Etihad representative said the request from the person who made the reservation first will be confirmed.
Here, The National explains how to use the pet travel service.
How will my pet travel?
- In economy class, the pet sits in its transport box under the passenger seat or the owner / legal guardian can buy an adjacent seat next to him on which the transport box can sit.
- The pet travel bag or kennel must be no larger than 40 x 40 x 22 centimeters (L x W x H) to fit under the seat, or 50 x 43 x 50 cm (L x W x H) if you bought an adjacent seat.
- If the passenger is traveling in business or first class, they can buy an adjacent seat for their pet so that they can sit next to them in their transport box. The travel bag or carrier bag for pets must not exceed 50 x 43 x 50 cm (L x W x H).
- The pet must remain in the travel bag or kennel throughout the flight.
Criteria for the trip
- The cat or dog must be at least 16 weeks old and weigh no more than 8 kg including the carrier.
- The pet must be able to sit, stand in a natural position with its head fully upright (without touching the roof), and it must be able to turn around and lie down.
- The travel bag or dog house for pets must be ventilated on at least three surfaces, escape-proof and leak-proof.
- The bottom of the bag or kennel must contain absorbent material.
How much does it cost?
Economy: It costs $ 150 (Dh 550) per pet per flight for flights of six hours or less and $ 250 (Dh 920) per pet per flight for flights of six hours or more.
For transit travel, the combined price applies to each flight.
If you want to buy an adjacent seat, you must do so in advance.
Business: You need to purchase an extra seat for your pet in advance.
Pets are not accepted on flights operated by Etihad partner airlines.
How to book
You must submit a booking form, which is available on the Etihad Airways website, at least 72 hours prior to your flight.
Checklist for pets traveling with you in the cabin
Before traveling with an animal in the cabin, you must ensure that:
- You have checked all entry and exit requirements for the countries you are flying to and from.
- All applicable veterinary examinations or treatments have been completed.
- Take with you any medication your pet will need to be given while traveling.
- Have all the official documents required for your pet’s travel ready.
- You have registered your pet for the trip and have received confirmation that your pet has been accepted.
- You have a leash and a suitable harness or collar available.
- You have dry pet food in a sealed container in your hand luggage.
Information required for the booking form
- Indicate whether it is a pet or service animal
- Name, breed and date of birth of the animal
- Microchip number
- Health certificate (signed by the authorized veterinarian)
- Certificate of fitness to travel (from the local veterinarian within 10 days prior to departure)
- Vaccination certificate (completely filled out)
- Rabies vaccination (EU 21 days, other countries 30 days)
- RNATT – rabies titer test (if necessary, ask the local authority)
- Internal and external parasite treatment
- Screwworm / tapeworm treatment
- Export permit (ask the local authority if necessary)
- Import permit (ask the local authority if necessary)
- Weight (gross weight of animal and container in kilograms)
- Dimensions container (in centimeters: length x width x height)
Updated: November 14, 2021 at 1:08 p.m.