Brown Recluse Spider Bite Poisoning In Dogs: Symptoms, Causes, & Treatments

(Credit: Joao Paulo Burini/Getty Images)

Brown recluse spider envenomation in dogs can occur if one of these spiders bites and injects its venom into the wound. Poisoning can cause a variety of symptoms and even be fatal.

Brown recluse, also known as fiddler spiders or violin spiders, live most commonly in the Midwestern United States and are most active at night. You can usually recognize them by a violin-shaped mark on their torso.

If you see signs that your dog might be suffering from poisoning from a spider bite, You must consult your veterinarian for proper diagnosis and treatment. Here’s what you should know about the symptoms, causes, and treatments for brown recluse spider bite envenomation in dogs.

Symptoms of Brown Recluse Spider Bite Poisoning in Dogs

In some cases, brown recluse spider envenomation in dogs does not necessarily result in symptoms. But in other cases, the most common symptoms include:

  • white lesion
  • pain in the joints
  • fever or chills
  • weakness
  • Local pain at the bite site
  • anemia

Causes of bite poisoning by brown recluse spiders in dogs

Small brown recluse spider climbing on a wall.

(Credit: PeteMuller/Getty Images)

The cause of brown recluse spider bite poisoning is the venom that the spider injects into the bite wound.

Generally, these spiders stay most active at night. They live most commonly in the Midwest, but humans have found them throughout the United States.

Bites are actually rare. Brown recluses are not prone to biting unless cornered or caught between the skin and another surface or object.

Veterinary Treatments

If you notice that your dog is suffering from brown recluse spider bite poisoning, your vet will want to do a full exam. They will also ask about any symptoms your dog is having.

Blood tests are crucial when it comes to diagnosis. The vet may also order a test to check for the spider’s venom in the bloodstream.

When it comes to treatment, the exact course of action depends on the severity of the bite. Usually, treating the wound is the first step, and a cold compress can help reduce swelling.

In severe cases, veterinarians may consider intravenous therapy and blood transfusion. These are procedures that must be performed in the hospital. If the venom has spread far enough and caused significant damage, the vet may need to amputate a limb.

In all cases, it is important to get to a veterinarian as soon as possible so that the poison has less time and opportunity to spread through the body and bloodstream.

Has your dog ever suffered from bite poisoning from a brown recluse spider? What did your vet do when you brought your dog in? Tell us all about it in the comments below.

Ad Blocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.