Black widow spider poisoning in dogs occurs when a black widow bites and injects toxic neurotoxin into the dog’s body. This can cause a number of symptoms, including muscle pain, tremors, and paralysis.
In some cases it can be fatal to a dog, so it is always important to speak to a veterinarian immediately if you notice that a black widow has bitten your dog.
As a note, while female black widows carry poisonous poison, male black widows are generally non-toxic.
If you see signs that a black widow bite may poison your dog, then You need to consult your veterinarian for correct diagnosis and treatment. Here’s What You Should Know About the Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments of Black Widow Poisoning in Dogs.
Symptoms of Black Widow Spider Poisoning in Dogs
Black widow spider poisoning in dogs can cause a number of symptoms. Some of the most common symptoms are:
- drool a lot
- Increased pulse
- Breathing problems
- High blood pressure
- Severe muscle pain (especially around the abdomen)
In severe cases, black widow spider bites can be fatal to dogs if not given immediate medical attention.
Causes of Black Widow Spider Poisoning in Dogs
Black widow poisoning can affect all dogs. It can happen both outdoors and indoors as black widow spiders live in both environments.
Black widow spiders can be recognized by their size and markings: adults are about two to two and a half centimeters long and have red or orange markings on their bodies.
In general, very young and older dogs are at greater risk of experiencing an extreme side effect to black widow bites as they tend to have an underdeveloped or weakened immune system.
Additionally, dogs suffering from high blood pressure are at greater risk of dying from black spider bites.
If you notice that your dog has been bitten by a black widow spider you must see your veterinarian immediately. The veterinarian may order a full physical exam and blood tests.
If your dog has diarrhea or is vomiting, it may be useful to bring a sample for your veterinarian to analyze.
Treatment often includes hospitalization. This allows the veterinarian to provide supportive treatments, including intravenous fluids, oxygen therapy, and appropriate medications. In many cases, veterinarians use anti-poison drugs.
Has a black widow ever bitten your dog? Did you have to take your pet to the vet to help them recover? Tell us all about it in the comments below.