Ankeny family says dog saved them

Ad Blocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Roxy the Bitch is more than a beloved family pet – she is a lifesaver.

WHO-TV reports that a family credits Ankeny Roxy for alerting them when the odorless gas carbon monoxide entered their home last week.

It happened on December 13th. Brad Harbert said Roxy is usually meek, but she was unusually active that night, jumping up and down the bed.

Harbert then heard the house’s carbon monoxide alarm go off. He jumped out of bed and Roxy went to Hartbert’s son’s door and started scratching at it.

Harbert gathered up his son, father, and dog and left the house. An investigation found that the leak was from the home’s electric and gas fireplace.

More:Are You Prepared For A Carbon Monoxide Leak? Get a CO detector, the officials demand

How to recognize and prevent carbon monoxide poisoning

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are usually headache, tiredness, shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, fainting, impaired vision and coordination, confusion, and chest pain in people with heart or respiratory problems. Prolonged exposure or high levels of carbon monoxide can cause unconsciousness and death.

Other signs of poisoning:

  • The whole family is sick at the same time.
  • Flu-like symptoms decrease while away from home.
  • Illness is present when gas appliances are used.
  • Excessive moisture on the interior windows.

UnityPoint Health offers these security tips:

  • Have your fuel-operated devices checked by a specialist at the beginning of each heating season. This also includes inspecting and cleaning your chimney and chimney.
  • Do not heat your home with a gas stove and never use a charcoal grill indoors.
  • Never sleep in a room with an unventilated gas or kerosene heater.
  • Never leave your vehicle running in your garage, even with the garage door open.
  • Always ensure that your vehicle is properly serviced, especially when it comes to the exhaust system. A defective exhaust system actually sucks back into the vehicle and causes high levels of carbon monoxide in your car.
  • If you experience symptoms, get some fresh air right away. Go to an emergency room or call 911 from a neighbor’s phone. Let the doctor know you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Install a carbon monoxide detector that meets the requirements of the current UL standard. Check the packaging for the UL seal of approval and always follow the installation instructions on the packaging.