Have a good Sunday Atlanta folks! Here you can find everything you need to know in the city today.
First the weather today:
Plenty of sunshine. High: 59 Low: 36.
Rent this space:
Are you a local business owner or marketer in Atlanta? We’d like to introduce our great local readers to trustworthy companies that can solve problems. Learn more about how it works.
Here are the top 5 stories of today in Atlanta:
- A storm system that moved through the central part of the United States overnight on Friday, which caused an estimated 30 tornadoes in six states and killed at least 70 people in Kentucky alone, brought heavy rain and wind to Metro Atlanta on Saturday afternoon. While the system was weakened significantly by the time it moved through Georgia, there have been reports of power outages and trees near Metro Atlanta, as well as some flooding on roads. More than 16,000 customers were without power when storms swept the area. (Free: WSB Atlanta; Subscription: Atlanta Journal Constitution)
- Britt Wood Bridal Designs & Salon in Midtown was left in ruins early Saturday morning after a car crashed into the store front. The bridal boutique is located next to the Synchronicity Theater on Peachtree Street, near the Savannah College of Art and Design, Atlanta. The amount of damage to the shop is still unknown. (11Alive.com WXIA)
- Stargazers watch out: Tonight, Comet Leonard, known as the “Christmas Comet” because of its Christmas season, will be as close as possible to Earth after an eons-long orbit. To get a glimpse of the comet’s tail visible for the next few days, astronomers recommend scanning the eastern sky just before sunrise. Leonard will walk between Arcturus – the fourth brightest star in the night sky and the brightest in the northern constellation Boötes – and the handle of the Big Dipper. (Atlanta patch)
- Passengers on an overcrowded airplane train at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport on Wednesday evening may have been exposed to a passenger with COVID-19. The video, posted on Channel 2 Action News, appears to show two employees from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention and a police officer escorting a person who the police officer said has COVID-19 on the airport’s airplane train. A statement released Friday by the CDC said: “CDC is working with Hartsfield-Jackson and partners at the federal and local levels to respond to sick travelers. The CDC, the airport and other partners have a set protocol to address any issue that may arise. CDC and Participation Partners are working hard to protect passengers, airport workers and rescue workers from public health threats. “(WSB Atlanta)
- One of the best views of the city from one of the highest points in Atlanta will soon be accessible for the first time in 25 years when a green space reopens in northwest Atlanta. Chain link fences erected on the corner of Howell Mill Road and 17th Street at the Atlanta City Water Works Hemphill Reservoir in preparation for the 1996 Olympics are being set back, creating a two-acre green space that shows off the beautiful Atlanta skyline. (WhatNowAtlanta.com)
Today in Atlanta:
- Atlanta, save with a Sam’s Club membership & donate 25% to the action against hunger! (9:00 AM)
- A Charlie Brown Christmas Live performance at Napoleon in Decatur (12:30 p.m.)
- Wonderland: Alice’s Rock & Roll Adventure in the Synchronicity Theater (2:00 p.m.)
- Celebrate Christmas with that Atlanta master chorale in the Schwartz Center for the Performing Arts (4:00 p.m.)
- Breweries elsewhere First craft beer dinner with Chef Tyler Edwards. (19:30 o’clock)
From my notebook:
- look at that Snapshot of a breathtaking moon Downtown. (Instagram)
- Thanks to Atlanta Humane Society supporter, Luna is well on her way to good health after arriving so uncomfortable and itchy that she couldn’t stop scratching and constantly shaking her head for temporary relief. ❤️ (Facebook)
- The first dog park on the Westside – made possible by a joint effort – was officially opened with a recent cutting of the ribbon. (Facebook)
- Nothing rings like this during Christmas time beautiful displays of Christmas lights.🎄🚗 So pack the car with cocoa and plan an evening to enjoy the glitzy, colorful displays all over Atlanta! (Facebook)
- Attention Atlanta BeltLine Run Club: Runners / walkers are in the Monday Night Garage for Final club meeting 2021 this Thursday. (Facebook)
From our sponsors – thank you for supporting local news!
Appearances & Services:
Do you love the Atlanta Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
You’re officially up to date for today. I’ll be back in your inbox with your next update tomorrow morning!
– Kathy Cioffi