Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Happy Monday folks of New York City! Let’s keep you all up to date on what’s happening on the ground to get an informed start today.
First today’s weather:
clouds and sun. High: 31 Low: 30.
Here are today’s top five stories in New York City:
- Mayor Eric Adams has promised to bring down crime rates in New York City from day one of his campaign. A former police officer, he recently announced, along with Gov. Kathy Hochul, his commitment to “flood” the MTA with officers. Yet just two weeks into his tenure, crime is up 65% compared to this time last year. (New York City patch)
- Politicians, NYPD members and faith leaders gathered Saturday to mourn the loss of 22-year-old police officer Jason Rivera, who was shot dead in Harlem on Friday. (amNY)
- At a dog walk in McCarren Park, Brooklyn, several dogs appear to be suffering from an outbreak of leptospirosis, a rat-borne disease. Given the overall high rat population in the city, health experts recommend all owners get their dogs vaccinated. (Gothamist)
- Caribbean-rooted, Bronx-based artist Laura James, whose colorful images of biblical characters have earned their recognition all the way to the Vatican. (New York Daily News)
- Only one restaurant in New York City made OpenTable’s list of America’s 100 Best Restaurants–upscale Majorelle on the Upper East Side. (New York City patch)
From our sponsor:
Today’s New York City Daily is brought to you in part by Newrez, a leading nationwide mortgage lender. Make a smart move for your future and refinance with Newrez today. Call 844-979-1707 to connect with a Newrez loan officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS #3013)
Today in New York City:
- Dustin Robinson Presents Psychedelic Series at Ludlow House, 139 Ludlow St. (6:30 p.m.)
- January lecture – Rosemary Mosco: A pocket guide for pigeons, online (7:00 p.m.)
- jazz night at the slate, at 54 W 21st St. (8:00 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- How would you rate Governor Kathy Hochul’s performance since taking office in early fall? Let Patch know by taking our poll. (New York City patch)
- As temperatures drop in New York City, The FDNY offers some tips on using space heaters safely. (CBS New York)
- Mayor Eric Adams “Tomorrow the loss of NYPD Officer Jason Rivera on Saturday night. (instagram)
- this Chicken soup sandwich from a cafe in Prospect Heights looks adorable. (Gothamist)
More from our sponsors – thanks for supporting local news!
- success academy [Español], Virtual Information Session (January 24)
- Success Academy Bronx 3 Virtual Information Session (January 25)
- Winfred Rembert – Chasing Me to My Grave: An Artist’s Memoir of the Jim Crow South (January 25)
- Progressive® Insurance New York Boat Show® (January 26)
- Organic Cold Process Soapmaking Course in New York City (January 26)
- Success Academy Bronx 4 Virtual Information Session (January 27)
- Unsilenced – Audience Award Winner – 23rd-27th January. 2022 (January 27)
- Add your event
Do you love the New York City Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
That’s it for today. Up soon!
— Dashiell Allen