Hey neighbors, Happy Halloween! It’s me again, Dashiell Allen, your host for the Sunset Park Daily.
First the weather today:
Rain and drizzle. High: 65 Low: 55.
Here are the top stories at Sunset Park today:
- State Senator Zellnor Myriewho represents Sunset park and Crown heights, stood outside an intersection that was filled with fast food chains dressed as carrots yesterday to announce his new bill targeting predatory fast food advertisements for children. It demands the Health department Work with local school authorities to promote healthier food options. (Brooklyn paper)
- A mural of Black Lives Matter at PS295 and MS 443 in South slopewhich attracts a large number of students from Sunset park, was removed after community members protested that it did not accurately reflect the true diversity of the community. The majority of students in Sunset park – and present at the school – are Hispanic and Asian Americans. The grant was made possible by a grant secured by Menchaca City Council. (Paywall: The New York Times) (Free Version: NY1)
- Check out this interview with the two applicants City council in Sunset Park District 38. Alexa Avilés is a democratic socialist while her challenger, Erik Frankel, runs on the libertarian and conservative party tickets. Avilés had previously against Frankel in the democratic primary that secured them. (Brooklyn paper)
- There were still concerns about compliance through City workers as the Vaccination order came into force on Friday at 5 p.m. The exact number of people who had not yet been vaccinated was not known at the time of going to press. (NYC patch)
Today at Sunset Park:
- SATURDAY: The Garden: performance and play for babies in Sunset Park (10 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.)
- SATURDAY: Live Music: Queens County Roots (7pm)
- SATURDAY: “A movement exhibition” at Art Cake (7:30 pm)
- SUNDAY: Big Alice: Dog Howl-o-Ween Parade (1pm)
- SUNDAY: Celebration of the Day of the Dead (5 p.m.)
Sunset Park Patch Notebook
- Sunset Park 5th Avenue BID: “Follow the instructions in the flyer to take part in the dog parade!” (Facebook)
- Just stroll through Grünwald cemetery this weekend? (Tweet)
- What do you think of that Helicopter situation? Politicians Get Together to Find Out (Sunset Park Patch)
From our sponsors – thank you for supporting local news!
Now you’re up to date and ready to walk out the door this Saturday! See you tomorrow for your next update. If you enjoy these newsletters, consider bringing some friends and neighbors with you. You can send them this link to subscribe.
– Dashiell Allen
Do you have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Sunset Park Daily? You can email me at email@example.com.